“Against the floods & enemy horses, you have raised a goodly defense. But what protection have you built against those unseen arrows – the sighs & moans of the oppressed – which pass through a thousand walls and battlements, and sweep whole worlds to destruction? Go and erect a citadel of justice and equity, for that alone can ensure the peace of the world.”
– Baha Al-Din, spiritual advisor to the Seljuk ruler Anatolia Sultan Ala al-Din
- 300 Spartans blocked the pass at Thermopylae to save their native land from Persian conquer, and bravely gave their lives for their people’s freedom. 2500 years later King Leonidas and his men are still feted in song and dance. Words of praise still spill from the lips of those that remember them.
- In contrast, it would not be polite to repeat the words that fall from the Rakyat to describe their leaders today. And since it’s considered rude to speak ill of women we wouldn’t dare discuss what they think of their wives. But there’s little to be gained by adding one’s abuse to the festering pile.
- Instead, the question is whether there are any noblemen or women amongst the 5,732 UMNO delegates this week? Are there 300 amongst them who would put their Nation above themselves? For, if there are not, they must pay the price for their inaction for all eternity, not just 2,500 years. Remember Allah is Omnipotent and Omnipresent.
- Let them not plead ignorance; they know full well what harvest the people will reap from the seed of their deceit. With smiling faces and sagging conscience, they will barter away the future for a piddling sum. If such was their feeble nature, then why rise to the calling to their country’s service?
- Surely, it would have been better for all if they plied their corrupt craft in some small-minded enterprise in the back-street of the kampung and left the crucial chore of caring for the citizenry to more able-minded compatriots. From 30 million could we not have found but 5,732 sinless souls?
- “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.” Said Ezekiel, and he could have been talking about Malaysia today. Yet be reminded that it doesn’t end well: “And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.”
- Of course, there is a simpler solution, that being: DO THE RIGHT THING. Be noble, UMNO delegates, and do your job. Do your job as representatives of the Rakyat, not as henchmen to the head honcho; be responsible for the well-being of your constituents and not just yourself and your front-men.
- It’s really not that difficult. For once in your life, take a stand and make yourself count. You can do it. You have the power. It’s called Democracy. If you really don’t care about the grass-roots that you speak for, then at least for the sake of your own children and their descendants, just do what’s right.
- In the unlikely event you don’t know what the right thing is, it is this: Tell the Emperor he has no clothes and force him out. Save not only your own skins, but also save your Party, and, moreover, save Democracy. If you joined politics to save the World then guess what? You can do it next week.
- If you’re too busy to come to work this week, then better just stay home. That would be better than having your name go down in history’s annals as one who sold his beloved Nation down river. Just pick up your check from Putrajaya and drive down to Sepang and leave for London or Los Angeles. You won’t be alone. Half the boss’ family seems to be sitting in Beverly Hills or Astana these days.
- So would the 5,732 rise up to the cry for freedom ? Will the delegates be aroused by the conscience of doing right the right way ? Will the love for the party, people and nation overwhelm, the temporal giver of temporary projects, position, power, money and relevance? Will the truth finally reign in ? Will the integrity finally dictate the pathway for UMNO ? Remember Allah has an eternal watching brief !
- Selamat bersidang !